Monday 20 July 2009

What an amazing weekend....to make a difference in the life of another...is rewarding beyond words and money

This weekend confirmed for me my intention to train to be a Landmark Forum Leader for children and young people. I saw one young adult who without the training was more than likely heading for a life of violence and trouble. What turned this young person around was getting that the way other people behave has little or nothing to do with the person who is being hurt whether that is physically or emotionally. Our mechanism called our identity makes someone hurting us personal. It does this so that a disempowering view can then be formed which stops the person being powerful in life. The thinking goes I suffer, because there is something wrong with me. The life is lived through the filter 'there is something wrong with me' and witholding expressing love to people and situations. The rest of life then becomes about developing strategies to survive, not to be powerful which is exactly what the identity wants. This is so tragic because the truth is that there is never and has never been anything wrong in any situation. Shakespeare said 'there is nothing right or wrong, but thinking makes it so'. I saw once again so clearly the battle that is played out in human being. The identity as a reaction machine and then something else, that isn't reactionary that doesn't hold and nurture grudges. That sees life is as it is and accepts life just the way that it is and just the way that it isn't.

This weekend I got afresh the power of this training. I saw how easy it is for my identity to make stories out of the events that happen in life. I became present again to how it is that things happen in life, they have nothing to do with me. I didn't cause them, they just happened. It's so easy to go into 'I caused this, that by something I said, did' and this weekend I became aware once again that there is no cause of effect in life, strange and counter-intuitive as it may seem. It was good to reconnect to that, but the real power for me was in seeing just how powerful this training is when it is available for the young people. This is the way that I am going to make a difference in the world by being the most powerful Landmark Forum Leader for children and young people that I can be. I also believe that the power of the experience I have had together with the ease and rapport I have with young people and how authentic I feel around them that I can make a massive difference. If I was privileged to have the opportunity to do what that Landmark Forum leader did this weekend for one young person it will give me so much satisfaction and fulfillment.

I know though that the road is long and tough. It's going to involve me being more selfless and committed than I have ever thought possible. I am going to have to dig deep into this purpose many times over the next few months and remember it when I feel like quitting and giving up. If I give up, I'm not available for another young person for whom I could make a difference. And yet I am also aware that I am not God and everyone has free choice about how they live life. All I want to be able to do is to be so highly trained to offer this technology so that young people get that they have a choice about how they interpret events that happen in their life. The events are fine they are just events, it is the meaning that is added that determines whether or not life occurs as easy or a struggle.

I'm giving my first talk on Wednesday night and I have had one confirmed booking which I am thrilled about. With a definite purpose for life, things happen....without a definite purpose...one drifts......

No comments: